Coronavirus

May 2024 Forums General discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 1,593 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

“There’s plenty of other reasons why people may not what the state snooping around your dirty laundry.”

Wot you been up to?

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

I was referring to the rich pampered and privileged in the developing and undeveloped countries where inequality is very stark, with clear divides ie few in a “middle-class”

I have previously on this thread linked to this story from Brazil

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-brazilian-woman-caught-coronavirus-on-vacation-her-maid-is-now-dead/ar-BB11DiDj

I also remember  posting about a private country club for the Brasilian elite that became a coronavirus hotspot by ignoring social distancing.

In fact wasn’t Germany’s and Britain’s patient zero holiday-makers at an exclusive ski-resort in Italy, as was South Africa’s.

COVID-19: South Africa’s ‘Patient Zero’ returns home

Not all patient zeros were Chinese coming from Wuhan after visiting family although many were, and America’s was.

Is it populism to point out that the rich and the wealthy are able to survive lockdowns in comfort and can advocate for such a policy without suffering economically.

But my main point is that lockdown and social distancing  may be an effective strategy for some nations but for others it is impractical and could well be a death sentence from other causes. Far fewer live in a multiple-roomed home much less possessing an actual garden, too. It is not a strategy that fits all. Following the scientific advice for Germany is not appreciating demographic differences in Nigeria – it is un-scientific because of the differing social structure. I think some have already referred to Sweden’s population make-up being a factor in how it is responding differently without a lockdown.

But another analysis, (albeit more anecdotal evidence I think)

https://scroll.in/article/957317/in-india-lockdown-protects-the-rich-and-exposes-poor-to-a-humanitarian-and-economic-disaster

My own experience is that a strict lockdown would have led to it being broken on a regular basis and as I have said in similar economies it is only being enforced by the use of coercion.

And aren’t you being a bit un-Marxist by using a 19thC term defining gig and uber workers as “petty-bourgeois” because they are legally and technically independent self-employed artisans and are protesting at the restrictions being imposed on their livelihoods.

Wouldn’t also most self-employed be described as sub-contractors ie those in the building trades for example, and not small shop-keepers.

Plus other sectors of the self-employed such as accountants and other professions are able to work online from home and no longer bound to an office desk. And we are told for those, it may become a permanent change in working conditions.

DJP
    Participant

Wot you been up to?

Not washing my pants. But I digress…

ALB
    Keymaster

And aren’t you being a bit un-Marxist by using a 19thC term defining gig and uber workers as “petty-bourgeois” because they are legally and technically independent self-employed artisans and are protesting at the restrictions being imposed on their livelihoods 

Probably but it wasn’t me that introduced the term (I don’t like the term because of the way Leninists, real and cartoon, bandy it about). I was trying to work out who he might have had in mind. It turns out that he wasn’t talking about a particular socio-economic group but of an “ideology” that can be held by anyone, even wage workers; which makes it an even more unhelpful term, like “middle class”.

Ironically one group that is benefiting economically from the lockdown is small shopkeepers. (Others are capitalist enterprises making extra profits from supplying medical equipment and supplies.)

ALB
    Keymaster

Just been to my local corner shop and the price of one egg has gone up from 25p last week to 30p. Some small shopkeepers must love lockdown or, rather, closedown of non essential workplaces.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Surely the real gainers are the online suppliers?

I can’t imagine cafes and small businesses being happy. Many face ruin.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Surely the big retailers, via the internet, are the ones doing well, not the small shopkeepers?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The owner of Amazon has made a lot of money during the pandemic, probably he has recovered all the money that he paid for his divorce. The 2.2 trillion bailouts approved by the USA Congress has made richer to the rich, and the poor received small pieces of bread. Most small business peoples are going into bankruptcy, they can not even pay the rent of the premises that they are renting. When peoples are going to wake up?

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Just been to my local corner shop and the price of one egg has gone up from 25p last week to 30p.”

Didn’t realise you could buy just one egg…  😛   Probably best to go to Asda where you can get a box of six for 89p.

ALB
    Keymaster

Of course as when a war occurs those who supply bombs, guns, tanks, uniforms etc prosper and profiteer (make extra profits) despite the government trying to stop itself getting ripped off. This is probably happening now with medical equipment and supplies. Normal under capitalism. That’s how private “entrepreneurs” are supposed to behave. They pursue their personal interest and the invisible hand ensures we all benefit. Pull the other one, Adam (Smith).

I was talking only about shopkeepers owning or running  “convenience stores” not all small shopkeepers. But you’re right, barbers and beauty parlours are not so happy. The supermarkets have benefitted too of course, and not just from online sales.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, in Denmark and the southern US states, restrictions are being lifted on truly essential businesses such as beauticians and tattooists.

Denmark says though that the tattooists, beauticians and barbers must still practise social distancing as they work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If people think the lockdown in the UK is restrictive or oppressive they might want to consider what it’s like elsewhere.

I’m told by a French friend that all people leaving their homes there must now carry a signed form, or attestation, explaining where they are going and why.  A different form, which can be downloaded, is needed for each outing.  There are five exceptions to the confinement rules, similar to those in force in the UK.

Some 100,000 police and gendarmes are out on the streets to enforce the lockdown and check that people carry the attestation.  Failure to produce one results in a fine.

Dave B
    Participant

The Bill Gate’s rabbit hole, The neo Malthusians and Niander Wallace?????

https://www.liberationnews.org/real-agenda-gates-foundation/

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

While in most countries ant-vaxxers are actually being undermined by the demands for a vaccine, yet in the US it has brought a fresh impetus to the movement

Anti-vaxxers are latching onto the coronavirus pandemic to bolster their movement

But regard Gates and vaccines, it was 330,000 deaths  caused by former South Africa’s former President Thabo Mbeki in HIV/AIDS denialism that was far costlier.

Dave B
    Participant

In the wide-ranging grilling from backbenchers, Prof Whitty also warned that health issues other than coronavirus could be brought about by the epidemic. 
    <p id=”ext-gen74″>Delayed treatment for non-Covid-19 patients, such as elective surgery, would likely see their pre-existing conditions slide, he said.</p>
    <p id=”ext-gen72″>He also braced MPs for growing medical issues brought by an economic downturn, which often triggers mental health problems</p>
    This is from the daily mail ; my crappy computer can’t deal with pop up overload and it crashes.

It looked “interesting”

If anybody can find a transcript of what Prof Whitty said that would be useful.

the leaked 150,000 lockdown deaths estimate by a civil service technical sub committee report looks like it might be real as it has not been fully denied.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 1,593 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.