Music while you work?

March 2024 Forums Off topic Music while you work?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Anonymous
    Inactive

Superb.See also -https://www.truthdig.com/articles/a-pipeline-straight-to-jail/

Anonymous
    Inactive

It just struck me that this article might be of interest to Ike Pettigrew.It is very moving how many of these, mainly black, inmates thirst for knowledge:

Quote:
    Franklin, like many others I have taught, should never have ended up in prison. His brilliance, his hunger to learn and his passion for ideas, if nurtured, would have led him to a very different life. But when you are poor in America, everything conspires to make sure you remain poor. The invisible walls of our internal colonies, keeping the poor penned in like livestock, mirror the physical walls of prison that many in these communities are doomed to experience.
    Quote:
    “You have a lot of intellectuals in prison,” he said. “There are people who think about things, who read things, who try to connect the dots. People read psychology and science to see how things fit together. You see libraries in some cells. You hear people say, ‘I got to get my library up.’ You would go from one cell with a library to another. It was like a cult. When you first loan a book to someone in prison you loan a tester. You do not loan a valuable book. If the person who borrows the book reads it and talks about it, then they get another book. But if they leave the book sitting on their shelf, if it doesn’t get read, they never get another book.”“There are a lot of guys in prison who read everything,” he continued. “When I saw that those prisoners won the debate with the Harvard team I was not surprised. I took classes where there were prisoners who had read everything the professor had read. I was intimidated to take classes with certain guys. They read constantly. They retained all the information. And they could relate it to whatever we were talking about. On the outside they never had a chance.”
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.