Russian Tensions

April 2024 Forums General discussion Russian Tensions

Viewing 15 posts - 1,591 through 1,605 (of 5,150 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

“Russians as savages.”

I knew a person from Estonia and they definitely hold attitudes that consider ethnic-Russian settlers as such

Thomas_More
    Participant

I used to write to a Lithuanian girl, but it stopped when I condemned her racism.
    I asked if she also admired the Russian seven-hour film epic version of WAR AND PEACE by Bondarchuk, and she sneered back, “Why? He’s Russian!”
    She went on by saying Russians stink, are dirty, and bother her by eating and drinking on the train while she is trying to read Baudelaire.
    I replied that the USSR must have given her a good education since she knew who Baudelaire was, unlike most of the British!
    She stopped writing.

Thomas_More
    Participant

In Taras Bulba, the hero, a Cossack, is in love with a Polish noblewoman. The Poles look upon his scruffy, dirty appearance with the contempt of American whites for a native American warrior. They call him a “savage.”

At the beginning of the story, two Jewish boys are playing in the mud, as, Gogol says, “Jews do”!

ALB
    Keymaster

From Wikipedia entry on Kreminna:

“In March 2022, during the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, the pro-Russian mayor Volodymyr Struk who welcomed the Russian move, was found shot dead in the street after having been kidnapped from his home.

Official advisor and a former deputy minister at the Ukrainian Ministry of Internal Affairs Anton Herashchenko said that Struk was judged under the Lynch Law. Herashchenko suggested that the mayor was murdered by “unknown patriots” as the Russian forces were 15 kilometers away from Kreminna.”

I wonder how many other opponents of the current Ukrainian government have been judged under “the Lynch Law”. Is this what they mean by the “rule of law”?

Thomas_More
    Participant

Male murdered civilians might have been conscientious objectors/draft dodgers?

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The hunt for collaborators?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/19/police-scout-for-pro-russian-collaborators-in-eastern-ukraine

“I cannot even call these people Ukrainians, even though they have Ukrainian passports and were born here and lived here all their lives,” said Malish. “These are not professional spies who were trained in Moscow and sent here.”

ALB
    Keymaster

Here’s a picture of the poor sod mentioned in that article and detained by the police for beating up and perhaps the application of the rule of “Lynch Law”. We are being asked to support one gangster regime against another:

https://m.facebook.com/kramslovpolice/posts/351257633703702

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is ironic that some leftist groups are fanatic opponents of what they call Nazis or Fascists but they support the butchers of Russia and the butchers of Ukraine and reject another butcher like the USA. They are just supporting one or two ruling classes and rejecting another ruling class, something similar to the so-called national liberation.

PS: I do not think that Lenin wanted all those statutes and monuments to be made to worship him, he just wanted to be buried next to his mother, and he did not want any mausoleum either

Thomas_More
    Participant

But I think Mao did. He was a megalomaniac.

Seem to remember an accomplice of Pol Pot prior to trial, who could barely restrain his laughter when an interviewer said, “You were communists …”

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Richard Wolff

ALB
    Keymaster

To return to what we were discussing the other day, here is chapter and verse from Putin blaming Lenin and “Communists” for creating Ukraine:

https://tass.com/politics/1407587

Thomas_More
    Participant

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_People%27s_Republic

“The republic’s autonomy was recognized by the Russian Provisional Government. Following the October Revolution, it proclaimed its independence from the Russian Republic on 22 January 1918 by the Fourth Universal.”

Thomas_More
    Participant

The Free Territory was also independent. The Bolsheviks had to conquer both it and the nationalists.

Putin’s skewered sense of history comes from his upbringing in Bolshevik pseudohistory.

Thomas_More
    Participant
    ALB
    Keymaster

Wolff is a good communicator. He is wrong about the way to stop inflation bring to simply impose a price freeze but that wasn’t his main point here.

He is right that it is the sanctions imposed by the US and Europe that is going to cause more problems than the war itself. It is going to impose pain on the population of the Middle East in terms of a rise in the price of bread. Bread riots can be expected there. It is going to impose pain on the population of Europe in terms of a rise in the price of energy to heat homes and drive cars. Whether the working class there will accept that remains to be seen.

NATO propaganda claims that it is the World v Russia. Actually most of the world — China, India, Indonesia, the Middle East, Africa and Latin America — is neutral and won’t be thanking the US and its militarily dependent allies for provoking a global slowdown and a disruption of global trade.

Wolff could be right that this episode could hasten the decline of the US as the dominating world power that it has been since the end of WW1.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,591 through 1,605 (of 5,150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.