Coronavirus

May 2024 Forums General discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 1,593 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

ALB, now that the peak of their pandemic crisis is moreorless over, the economic bounce back to normal the Chinese economists expected to happen has failed to materialise, I have read.

Why?

Because the economies of those other countries which the US general says was purposefully brought into a recession, are not yet buying products. Effective demand has dropped and China has not recovered its market.

So very much a case of cutting off ones nose to spite ones face it appears if the general is correct.

ZJW
    Participant

Anti-mainstream view (and without conspiracy theory):

DJP
    Participant

What did you think about the article and why share it? To me this read like an article denying climate change or something. In the UK excess deaths are now tens of thousands above average, according to the ONS. It’s not at all comparable to the WMD thing before the invasion of Iraq. The WMD’s didn’t exist, I think it now takes a fair amount of self-delusion or conspiracy thinking to believe that there isn’t a major health situation going on.

Bijou Drains
    Participant

Interesting to read the views on epidemiology and virology put forward by CJ Hopkins, a minor US playwright. When I seek out opinion on matters such as world pandemics, I often turn to minor US playwrights, but only when I can’t get the opinion of a former Love Island contestant or a 1960s one hit wonder.

ALB
    Keymaster

I think he was trying to be satirical but he comes across as spouting postmodernist nonsense. We were always taught in the party’s Speakers Class to avoid irony as people take you literally.

Bijou Drains
    Participant

We were always taught in the party’s Speakers Class to avoid irony as people take you literally.

Are you being ironic when you say that?

ALB
    Keymaster

I don’t know about the rest of you here but I’m not going to download that app allowing my movements and who I meet to be tracked. It is just completely unbelievable that the intelligence services won’t be able to access this information if they need to.

If I catch it or anybody I’ve met does I’m prepared to disclose this of course and I’m not going to discourage others from downloading the spy app but I’m not going to.

So, ironically perhaps, I’m an Obstinate Refuser on this.

DJP
    Participant

I don’t know about the rest of you here but I’m not going to download that app allowing my movements and who I meet to be tracked.

Well if you use a smartphone with Google Maps already all your movements are being logged anyhow.

ALB
    Keymaster

That’s what I suspected but thought I had opted out of that. Apparently not:

https://www.wired.com/story/google-location-tracking-turn-off/amp

They don’t know who I meet. Or do they?

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

It is still at the speculation stage but an option being considered is for the government to cut the proportion of furloughed workers’ wages it pays to from 80 percent to 60 percent.

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/uk-considers-wage-cut-furloughed-workers-report-200505212344994.html

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

As a comedian I rarely find him funny but as a political commentator he has some worth. Here he shares your concerns, ALB, about the surveillance society being facilitated by COVID-19

LEE CAMP: While Pandemic Destroys So Many Lives, The Surveillance State Celebrates

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

https://countercurrents.org/2020/05/the-scourge-of-authoritarianism-in-the-age-of-pseudoscience

An interesting read by one who usually rails against GM farming and Monsanto but on this occasion he casts his critical eye over the pandemic which also reflects ALB’s suspicions about being monitored.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The conspiracy “theorists” should be ashamed of themselves in more ways than one. Bolsonaro says the same as them – that it’s just a little flu – as the Amazon burns and the natives die in thousands. …

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Well if you use a smartphone with Google Maps already all your movements are being logged anyhow.”

Neither is it a good idea to use Google’s search engine – haven’t done so for years.

ALB
    Keymaster

I see that his opponents have brought down professor Neil Ferguson and completely humiliated him. It can’t be accidental that it was the Daily Telegraph, which favours putting the health of the economy first which he got the government to abandon with his criticism of the herd immunity policy, was the one wot did it. Dave B should be pleased too.

Incidentally, although he was not found out (as far as we know) via his smartphone but the usual methods employed by scumbag journalists, finding out that you had visited your mistress or vice versa is another reason (warning irony) why I don’t want my movements and meetings tracked.

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 1,593 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.