A Day School in the North East

August 2021 Forums Regional Branches North East A Day School in the North East

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Young Master Smeet
    Participant

Dear All,

given Yorkshire branch are looking to hold a day school in February, I wonder if we could look at trying one in the North East some time in 2018.

I've been looking at the Miner's Institute in Newcastle, which is wonderfully near the station, they have rooms for hire, but cunningly don't advertise their prices.

If we got, say, 3 speakers, I think comrades from Glasgow, Edinburgh (and maybe Lancaster) could be inveigled to travel.

What does anyone think?

Bijou Drains
    Participant
    Young Master Smeet wrote:
    Dear All,given Yorkshire branch are looking to hold a day school in February, I wonder if we could look at trying one in the North East some time in 2018.I've been looking at the Miner's Institute in Newcastle, which is wonderfully near the station, they have rooms for hire, but cunningly don't advertise their prices.If we got, say, 3 speakers, I think comrades from Glasgow, Edinburgh (and maybe Lancaster) could be inveigled to travel.What does anyone think?

i think this is a fantastic idea. The kind of thing we need to kick start activity in this part of the world. As for the venue, the Miner's Institute is a great venue, a lovely building right next to the Central Station and the Metro station. Good transport links and if any comrades wish to step out afterwards and sample the night life of Newcastle, I'm sure a native guide or two could be arranged.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Bijou Drains wrote:
    Dear All,given Yorkshire branch are looking to hold a day school in February, I wonder if we could look at trying one in the North East some time in 2018.I've been looking at the Miner's Institute in Newcastle, which is wonderfully near the station, they have rooms for hire, but cunningly don't advertise their prices.If we got, say, 3 speakers, I think comrades from Glasgow, Edinburgh (and maybe Lancaster) could be inveigled to travel.What does anyone think?

i think this is a fantastic idea. The kind of thing we need to kick start activity in this part of the world. As for the venue, the Miner's Institute is a great venue, a lovely building right next to the Central Station and the Metro station. Good transport links and if any comrades wish to step out afterwards and sample the night life of Newcastle, I'm sure a native guide or two could be arranged.

OK, does any NE comrade want to kickstart this by suggesting a date in the New Year once availability of a room at the Miners' Institute has been established?https://mininginstitute.org.uk/events/rooms-available-to-hire/

Bijou Drains
    Participant
    gnome wrote:
    Bijou Drains wrote:

OK, does any NE comrade want to kickstart this by suggesting a date in the New Year once availability of a room at the Miners' Institute has been established?https://mininginstitute.org.uk/events/rooms-available-to-hire/

How about Saturday 5th May. It would tie in with May Day and Newcastle are playing away that weekend (the city centre on match day can get quite "robust" on match day and the venue is only about 1/2 mile from St James'.)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Bijou Drains wrote:
    How about Saturday 5th May. It would tie in with May Day and Newcastle are playing away that weekend (the city centre on match day can get quite "robust" on match day and the venue is only about 1/2 mile from St James'.)

Sounds good.  Will you make some enquiries about a room, BD?  Then we can get the Campaigns Committee to find some speakers (or you can do that yourselves). 

Bijou Drains
    Participant
    gnome wrote:
    Bijou Drains wrote:

Sounds good.  Will you make some enquiries about a room, BD?  Then we can get the Campaigns Committee to find some speakers (or you can do that yourselves). 

I'll get on to it. I am working away for the next week or so, so I might struggle to get in to view the rooms, (which would be best I think). I'll also contact the Lit and Phil, which is almost next door and is another very good venue.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Bijou Drains wrote:
    gnome wrote:
    Bijou Drains wrote:

I'll get on to it. I am working away for the next week or so, so I might struggle to get in to view the rooms, (which would be best I think). I'll also contact the Lit and Phil, which is almost next door and is another very good venue.

Brilliant! 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that would really stir workers in the north east who have lost their benefits and losing their homes to organise for revolution. Perhaps you could supply some soup  to encourage them to participate

alanjjohnstone
    Participant
    Quote:
    How about Saturday 5th May. It would tie in with May Day

Quote:
    5th of May 1818 – 200 years to the day – That Karl Marx was born.
    Young Master Smeet
    Participant

The otehr thing that would be needful would be an ad in a local newspaper, because I don't think we could flyer the event.  I take it that the Evening Chronicle would be the location of chice? A quick look suggests we might need to go in at a couple of hundred quid, as we'd want to avoid the classified sections if we could.  Is there a local free sheet that may be better?

Major McPharter
    Participant

May day sounds fandabbi dozy, we may also get some visitors from the may day rally held at exhibition park, jeremy might just turn up, lets hope its corbyn not Clarkson.We should try and get a list of all former members and contacts in the area maybe they might just turn up with the offer of a bottle of Newcastle Broon Ale and a Greggs Pasty.

Major McPharter
    Participant

How about a drop of Malt Whisky in the Soup, we might just get trampled in the rush.

Major McPharter
    Participant

Can i wear my sunderland Top?

Major McPharter
    Participant

I would like to toss a large bowl of scalding hot soup over the parasites in the house of frauds lords. Vince could you please supply me with a bucket of scotch broth.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a cousin in the House of Lords. He isn't a parasite. If you got to know him you might find that he was quite a decent sort of cove. You ought to be a bit more open-minded.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.