Skip to Content

Kent and Sussex Branch

229 posts / 0 new
Last post
gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Minutes of the 59th meeting of the Kent & Sussex Regional branch of The Socialist Party of Great Britain held on 2nd October 2016

The meeting started at 2.15pm and was held at the Muggleton Inn, High Street, Maidstone, Kent

Present: Mandy Bruce, Dave Chesham (Secretary), Rob Cox (Treasurer), Dan Fabian

Apologies for absence: Marie Chesham, Hannah Dutton

1. Election of Chair
Motion 1. Chesham & Fabian “That Bruce be Chair”
AGREED

2. Minutes of the 58th Meeting held on 11th September 2016 were before the meeting
Motion 2.
Fabian & Cox “That the minutes be adopted”
AGREED

3. Matters arising from previous minutes

i) Street Stalls Report of Canterbury street stall – 17 September

The three members present thought about cancelling this stall, as the BBC weather forecast had flipped to rain for most of the afternoon. However the forecast gradually improved and by 11am was forecasting no rain between 12 and 5. There were no other stalls in the area, so we had the best spot. Unfortunately it started spitting rain as soon as we set up, and slowly got worse until nearly 3pm when it got very heavy and we had to pack up. Not surprisingly we had very little interest, selling only two Standards (but for £2 each). Karl and Mandy gave out a lot of leaflets, mainly the ‘Tories’ one.

Last stall in Canterbury this season will on Saturday, 8 October from 12noon.

ii) Brighton Group meeting

Report of public meeting by Anton P. - 13 September - "Post Capitalism: What Now?"

“Publicity for the event was through a print run of 1000 leaflets designed by Elena B-G and distributed by mail and in local cafes, etc. On the evening posters were outside the pub. Social media was used as much as possible.

Very disappointing turnout (9) that began the discussion which lead on quickly to whether indeed we have ‘post-capitalism’ (we don’t!) and what in the face of misunderstanding & apathy, we can do. Co-operatives were discussed at length & largely dismissed though this lead to the idea of spreading ‘consciousness’ and expanded to encompass the Corbyn debate. Incidentally, there was a large support Corbyn benefit gig in Brighton that evening, unknown to us when we booked the date. It was also unseasonably warm & being inside was not attractive!

The conclusion was that we need to engage specific interest groups. Indeed, leafleting at the mentioned gig would have had a much larger impact than our tiny meeting. I know from my own experience that we like to have these cosy meetings rather than cold leafleting so need to kick that habit! Also we would really welcome suggestions for which existing leaflets or new leaflet content and although it is our area, also suggestions for events to attend.

The Universities were mentioned several times and it was decided this is where we need to concentrate. Theo & Aiyana offered to look into it.

The new people contributed towards the end & were very interested in the cause with both saying they came from on-line engagement. Mike L saw it on the party’s ‘Meetup’ group; he follows the party from time to time whereas Jess B saw it on Facebook from a friend of a friend. They were impressed and will come again.”

It was AGREED that the Secretary write a letter or email congratulating the group and encouraging them to continue with their activities.

iii) Gay Pride events in Canterbury & Margate

Nothing to report; there being no plans for further activities this year.

iv) Membership matters

Following correspondence from a prominent branch member announcing withdrawal from branch activity, the recent resignation from the party of a second member and the inability of the branch to get a quorum on the very first occasion since its formation, some time was spent discussing various options for the future including online meetings, change of venue and/or day of our meetings, transfer of at least three members to other branches in order to reduce the required quorum, and dissolution of the branch.

It was AGREED that Rob prepare a suitable questionnanire, assisted by Dan, which would be sent to all branch members, and to submit this for consideration at our next meeting.

v) Call for nominations for Socialist Standard layout members

Following a discussion about technical aspects of the layout work it was AGREED that Mandy contact Neil W. of the SSPC to request clarification about templates and Adobe trial downloads.

vi) Call for nominations for 2017 Party Officers and EC members

The branch nominated the following additional members:

Executive Committee members: Dave Chesham, Carla Dee
AGREED

vii) Snap General Election possibility

It was likely that the branch would once again contest the Canterbury Parliamentary constituency in the event of a snap general election.

4. Autumn Delegate Meeting

Members discussed the agenda and delegates appointed.

5. Forms 'A' & 'F'
NONE

6. Branch membership transfers
NONE

7. EC minutes
NONE to hand

8. Future propaganda activities
NONE other than those already mentioned

9. Any other business
NONE

Meeting adjourned at 6.51pm

Collection taken: £8.50

lindanesocialist
Offline
Joined: 28/03/2016

Sorry to hear about the problems the branch is having: It has been so active and productive and it has been encouraging to hear of your activities.

 

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Next meeting of K&SRB - Sunday, 13th November, 2016 at 2.00pm at The Muggleton Inn (Wetherspoon), 8 High Street, Maidstone ME14 1HJ (first floor)

AGENDA

Election of Chair

Apologies for absence

Adoption of minutes of previous meeting

Matters arising from the minutes

i) Street Stalls - Canterbury – Report of 8 October

ii) Future Brighton activities

iii) Membership matters

iv) Call for nominations for Socialist Standard layout members

v) Call for nominations for 2017 Party Officers and EC members

vi) Snap General Election possibility

Report of ADM proceedings

Finance report

Forms 'A' & 'F'

Branch membership transfers

EC minutes – October meeting – 1-10-16
                         November meeting – 5-11-16

Future propaganda activities

Any other business

Collection

Adjournment
 

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Minutes of the 60th meeting of the Kent & Sussex Regional branch of The Socialist Party of Great Britain held on 13th November 2016

The meeting started at 2.08pm and was held at the Muggleton Inn, High Street, Maidstone, Kent

Present: Dave Chesham (Secretary), Marie Chesham, Rob Cox (Treasurer), Dan Fabian

Apologies for absence: Mandy Bruce, Susan Chivers, Hannah Dutton

1. Election of Chair
Motion 1. Cox & D.Chesham “That Fabian be Chair”
AGREED

2. Minutes of the 59th Meeting held on 2nd October 2016 were before the meeting
Motion 2. Cox & Fabian “That the minutes be adopted”
AGREED

3. Matters arising from previous minutes

i) Street Stalls Report of Canterbury street stall – 8 October

Rain again hit the stall. As the forecast was dry until 3pm we went ahead, but the rain came early (as soon as we started) and was persistent, until about 1:30pm. As a result, not as many visited the stall as usual. We did manage to hand out some leaflets and had a few interesting discussions, one of which was with a Labour Party member who knew the SPGB from a West London friend who was a Party member in the 1960’s.

We were entertained by some pleasant jazz guitar from a ‘Socialist’ busker, who spent half an hour chatting with us about why the workers have yet to achieve their emancipation. We were pleased to be visited again by two of our anarchist followers from Dover, who contributed to our literature sales (3 Standards, one SOYMB book and a donation of £3.50).

ii) Brighton Group

Group members have had a couple of meetings with the Socialist Society based at Brighton University.

It is hoped to hold another public meeting in February.

iii) Membership matters

Rob and Dan had produced a questionnaire which would be sent to all branch members to be followed up about four weeks later with an electronic version.
NOTED

iv) Further call for nominations for Socialist Standard layout members

A second call was received for a further layout member.  It was AGREED to circulate the branch membership once again.

v) Further call for nominations for 2017 Party Officers and EC members

The branch nominated Jacqueline Shodeke, to serve both as an Executive Committee member and member of the Campaigns Committee. AGREED

vi) Snap General Election possibility

It was AGREED to inform the Executive Committee that the branch would be prepared to run a campaign in the Parliamentary Constituency of Canterbury.

The Secretary would ask the members in Brighton if they would be able to run a campaign in one of the constituencies there.

4. Autumn Delegate Meeting – report of proceedings
NOTED

5. Finance report

The Treasurer gave a financial report. It showed a deficit for the year ended 12 November 2016 of expenditure over income of £36.58. The accumulated fund showed a balance of £338.94.

Motion 3. D.Chesham & M.Chesham “That the Treasurer be thanked for his report and the balance remaining at Unity Trust Bank be transferred to Nat West Bank”
AGREED

6. Forms 'A' & 'F'
NONE

7. Branch membership transfers
NONE

8. EC minutes – October meeting – 1-10-16
NOTED

9. Future propaganda activities
NONE other than those already mentioned

10. Any other business
NONE

Meeting adjourned at 3.30pm
(members socialised for a further two hours following the adjournment)

Collection taken: £11.00

Literature sales: £3.00

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Next meeting of K&SRB - Sunday, 11th December, 2016 at 2.00pm at The Muggleton Inn (Wetherspoon), 8 High Street, Maidstone ME14 1HJ (first floor)

AGENDA

Election of Chair

Apologies for absence

Adoption of minutes of previous meeting

Matters arising from the minutes

i) Membership matters

ii) Call for nominations for Socialist Standard layout members

iii) Call for nominations for 2017 Party Officers and EC members

Call for nominations for 2017 sub-committees

Conference 2017 - Motions and Amendments to Rule

Forms 'A' & 'F' - Form ‘A’ for JH

Branch membership transfers

EC minutes – November meeting -- 5-11-16
                          December meeting -- 3-12-16

Future propaganda activities

Any other business

Collection

Adjournment

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Minutes of the 61st meeting of the Kent & Sussex Regional branch of The Socialist Party of Great Britain held on 11th December 2016

The meeting started at 2.08pm and was held at the Muggleton Inn, High Street, Maidstone, Kent

Present: Dave Chesham (Secretary), Marie Chesham, Rob Cox (Treasurer), Sam Wicks

Apologies for absence: Mandy Bruce, Hannah Dutton, Dan Fabian

1. Election of Chair
Motion 1
. D.Chesham & M.Chesham “That Cox be Chair”
AGREED

2. Minutes of the 60th Meeting held on 13th November 2016 were before the meeting
Motion 2. M.Chesham & Cox “That the minutes be adopted”
AGREED

3. Matters arising from previous minutes

i) Membership matters

The questionnaire on the future of the branch which Rob and Dan had produced was discussed and would be sent to all branch members by post and then followed up two weeks later with an electronic version.

ii) Further call for nominations for Socialist Standard layout members
NOTED

iii) Further call for nominations for 2017 Party Officers and EC members

The branch nominated the following members to serve on the 2017 Executive Committee.

Dick Field, Julian Vein, Darren Williams

4. Call for nominations for 2017 sub-committees

It was AGREED to nominate the following members for these respective sub-committees.

Audio-Visual – Jessica Harrison, Tim Kilgallon, Vincent Maratty

Campaigns – Eddie Craggs, Mike Foster

Head Officer Organiser – Mike Kelly

Publications – Mandy Bruce

5. Conference 2017 - Motions and Amendments to Rule

While considering this item a lengthy discussion took place on the party’s organisational structure. As a result the following motion was proposed and seconded.

Motion 3. (to the EC) M.Chesham & R.Cox "This branch is of the opinion that the Party needs to undertake an urgent review of the sustainability of its organisational structure and its ability to effectively engage its members and supporters to achieve its objectives and operate in the 21st Century.

We call upon the Executive Committee to organise a consultation of the entire membership on:

1. Their views on the current and future organisational structure of the Party.

2. The views of members on the priorities of the Party.

3. How best individual party members, supporters and sympathisers can be enabled to participate in achieving the object of the Party.


AGREED 4-0-0 (four members present)

It was AGREED to defer other matters to the next branch meeting.

6. Forms 'A' & 'F'

The acting General Secretary informed the branch that Jessica Harrison, who currently lives in Brighton, had been accepted into membership of the party via the Membership Application Committee and had been allocated to K&S. The Secretary agreed to send Jessica a welcoming email.

7. Branch membership transfers

Sam Wicks, who was present at the meeting, requested his membership be transferred from Manchester Branch to Kent & Sussex now that he is living in Maidstone once again. Sam was welcomed back into the branch of which he had been a member before. The Secretary would make the necessary transfer arrangements.

The branch membership currently stands at 20.

8. EC minutes – November meeting - 5-11-16
                              December meeting - 3-12-16

NOTED

9. Future propaganda activities
NONE other than those already mentioned

10. Any other business

i) T-Shirts

Rob reported that he had 8 T-Shirts left. This had been a private venture and not that of the branch. Dave agreed to take over the advertising and dispatch of these remaining items although more may need to be ordered to accommodate requests for particular designs and sizes.

It was AGREED to return to the subject at our next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 6.35pm

Collection taken: £15.00

Literature sales: £5.00

Vin
Online
Joined: 03/12/2011

gnome wrote:

Motion 3. (to the EC) M.Chesham & R.Cox "This branch is of the opinion that the Party needs to undertake an urgent review of the sustainability of its organisational structure and its ability to effectively engage its members and supporters to achieve its objectives and operate in the 21st Century.


We call upon the Executive Committee to organise a consultation of the entire membership on:

1. Their views on the current and future organisational structure of the Party.

2. The views of members on the priorities of the Party.

3. How best individual party members, supporters and sympathisers can be enabled to participate in achieving the object of the Party.


 

 

Very positive.smiley

However, how  members partake in such a discussion is a very real problem.

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Next meeting of K&SRB - Sunday, 8th January, 2017 at 2.00pm at The Muggleton Inn (Wetherspoon), 8 High Street, Maidstone ME14 1HJ (first floor)

AGENDA

Election of Chair

Apologies for absence

Adoption of minutes of previous meeting

Matters arising from the minutes

i) Membership matters

ii) Further call for nominations for 2017 Party Officers and EC members

iii) Call for nominations for 2017 sub-committees

iv) Conference 2017 - Motions and Amendments to Rule

v) T-Shirts

Forms 'A' & 'F'

Branch membership transfers

EC minutes – January meeting - 7-1-17

Future propaganda activities

Any other business

Collection

Adjournment

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Minutes of the 62nd meeting of the Kent & Sussex Regional branch of The Socialist Party of Great Britain held on 8th January 2017

The meeting started at 2.30pm and was held at the Muggleton Inn, High Street, Maidstone, Kent

Present: Mandy Bruce, Dave Chesham (Secretary), Rob Cox (Treasurer), Dan Fabian, Sam Wicks

Apologies for absence: Marie Chesham, Hannah Dutton

1. Election of Chair
Motion 1.
D.Chesham & Fabian “That Wicks be Chair”
AGREED

2. Minutes of the 61st Meeting held on 11th December 2016 were before the meeting
Motion 2. Cox & Fabian “That the minutes be adopted”
AGREED

3. Matters arising from previous minutes

i) Membership matters


The questionnaire on the future of the branch which Rob and Dan produced has been sent to all branch members by post. Two replies have already been received. A reminder in the form of an email would be sent out to those who haven’t responded within a couple of weeks or so.

ii) Further call for nominations for 2017 Party Officers and EC members

It was AGREED 5-0-0  (five members present) to nominate the following members to serve on the 2017 Executive Committee.

Melvin Tenner, Sam Wicks

iii) Further call for nominations for 2017 sub-committees

It was AGREED 5-0-0  (five members present) to nominate the following members for these respective sub-committees.

Media -- Rob Cox, Max Hess, Andy Thomas

University & College – Darrell Whitehead

iv) Conference 2017 - Motions and Amendments to Rule

a) The following motion was proposed:

“The Party needs to undertake an urgent review of the sustainability of its organisational structure and its ability to effectively engage its members and supporters to achieve its objectives and operate in the 21st Century.  Conference instructs the Executive Committee to organise a consultation of the entire membership on:

1. Their views on the current and future organisational structure of the Party.

2. The views of members on the priorities of the Party.

3. How best individual party members, supporters and sympathisers can be enabled to participate in achieving the object of the Party.”

AGREED 5-0-0  (five members present)

Rob would write the supporting statement.

b) The following amendment was proposed to Rule 2:

‘Remove the first sentence in Rule 2 and substitute “Members contribute to the achievement of the Party object in accordance with their abilities and means, which may include the propagation of ideas, active participation, financial contributions and encouraging others to become Socialist.”’

AGREED 5-0-0  (five members present)

Sam would write the supporting statement.

v) T-Shirts

Rob suggested that the eight remaining T-Shirts, and any more we might order, should be sold at cost price which would be in the region of £11.50.

It was AGREED to return to the subject again at our next meeting.

4. Forms 'A' & 'F'
NONE


5. Branch membership transfers
NONE


6. EC minutes
NONE TO HAND


7. Future propaganda activities
NONE other than those already mentioned

8. Any other business
NONE

Meeting adjourned at 5.10pm

Collection taken: £10.00

Literature sales: £8.00

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Next meeting of K&SRB - Sunday, 12th February, 2017 at 2.00pm at The Muggleton Inn (Wetherspoon), 8 High Street, Maidstone ME14 1HJ (first floor)

AGENDA

Election of Chair

Apologies for absence

Adoption of minutes of previous meeting

Matters arising from the minutes

i) Membership matters

ii) Further call for nominations for 2017 Party Officers

iii) Further call for nominations for 2017 sub-committees

iv) T-Shirts

Conference 2017

i) Preliminary agenda

ii) Items for Discussion

Branch Form ‘C’

May 2017 Council Elections

Street Stalls

Brighton Group

Forms 'A' & 'F'

Branch membership transfers

EC minutes – January meeting - 7-1-17
                         February meeting - 4-2-17

Future propaganda activities

Any other business

Collection

Adjournment

Login or register to post comments