Skip to Content

Kent and Sussex Branch

229 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vin
Offline
Joined: 03/12/2011

Thankyou for the nomination comrades. Keep up your good work.

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Next meeting of K&SRB - Sunday, 14th February, 2016 at 2.00pm at The Muggleton Inn, 8 High Street, Maidstone ME14 1HJ (first floor)

AGENDA

Election of Chair

Apologies for absence

Adoption of minutes of previous meeting

Matters arising from the minutes

i) Brighton - public meeting on 13 January (report) and next meeting on 8 March

ii) Video clips - deferred

iii) Further Items for Discussion for Conference 2016 Agenda (report)

iv) Street Stalls – next one in Canterbury on 19 March

v) Proposed Folkestone Discussion Group

vi) 'How do we respond to Corbyn?'

Annual Branch Financial Accounts

Annual Conference 2016 - Preliminary Agenda

Forms 'A' & 'F'

Branch membership transfers

EC minutes – January meeting – 9-1-16

Future propaganda activities

Any other business

Collection

Adjournment

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Minutes of the 51st meeting of the Kent & Sussex Regional branch of The Socialist Party of Great Britain held on 14th February 2016

The meeting started at 2.10pm and was held at the Muggleton Inn, High Street, Maidstone, Kent

Present: Mandy Bruce, Dave Chesham (Secretary), Marie Chesham, Rob Cox (Treasurer), Ed Mann, Jacqueline Shodeke

Apologies for absence: Les Courtney, Hannah Dutton

1. Election of Chair
Motion 1. Shodeke & Cox “That Mann be Chair”
AGREED

2. Minutes of the 50th Meeting held on 10th January 2016 were before the meeting
Motion 2. Cox & Shodeke “That the minutes be adopted ”
AGREED

3. Matters arising from previous minutes

i) Brighton public meeting – 13-1-16

A very encouraging meeting in Brighton on 13 January with an excellent talk as usual given by guest speaker Brian Morris. 14 present (5 members and 9 visitors) including 4 newcomers. The women once again outnumbered the men by 8 to 6.

The next meeting of the group will be on Tuesday, 8 March, again in the Pelham Room on the first floor of the Brighthelm Centre, North Road, Brighton BN1 1YD, starting at the slightly later time of 7.45pm. There will be a group discussion, by popular demand, on 'Thoughts on Religion and Socialism'

ii) Video clips

It was AGREED to defer this item again

iii) Further Items for Discussion for Conference 2016 Agenda

As a result of the branch's online deliberations the final texts of the two further Items for Discussion along with their supporting statements were finalised and AGREED.

iv) Street Stalls

Stalls were arranged in Canterbury for 19 March and 16 April.

From 12 noon in The Parade on each day.

v) Proposed Folkestone Discussion Group

Rob had sent emails to local members to ascertain what support there might be for the formation of a discussion group in Folkestone. As a direct result of his action it seems likely that, in addition to Rob, three other members would favour setting up the group.

It was AGREED that a notice be placed in the March Socialist Standard and on the website forum advising other people of our plans to form a group.

Notices would be sent in due course by email or post to other contacts in the vicinity.

vi) 'How do we respond to Corbyn?'

After some discussion it was AGREED that the Secretary contact North London Branch and the Campaigns Committee to enquire whether they think there is any likelihood of securing a debate with Jeremy Corbyn. The Secretary would also contact the Momentum Facebook group with a similar objective in mind.

4. Annual Branch Financial Accounts

The Treasurer presented a comprehensive set of accounts which had been audited and approved by two branch members. The accounts for 2015 showed a balance of income over expenses of £84.13 with an accumulated fund at year end of £375.52. The branch had 21 members at the close of 2015.  The Treasurer was thanked for all his hard work.

5. Annual Conference 2016 - Preliminary Agenda
NOTED

6. Forms 'A' & 'F'
NONE

7. Branch membership transfers
NONE

8. EC minutes – January meeting - 9-1-16
NOTED

Relevant snippets from the February meeting of the EC were provided by the EC member present.
A call had been made for nominations for outstanding 2016 EC and Party Officer vacancies.

Motion 3. D.Chesham & Shodeke “That Comrade Rob Cox be nominated for the remaining position of Party Auditor” AGREED 5-0-1 (six members present)

9. Future propaganda activities
NONE
other than those already mentioned.

10. Any other business
NONE

Meeting adjourned at 5.35pm

Collection taken: £9.50

alanjjohnstone
Offline
Joined: 22/06/2011

It is very promising that your branch's discussion meeting has non-members out-numbering members. In recent years it seems to be always the other way around.

Is this an effect of you collecting contact e-mail addresses from your street lit -stalls of those interested and then following up by sending out invitations to the meeting? 

"I have no country to fight for; my country is the Earth, and I am a citizen of the World." - Eugene V. Debs

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

alanjjohnstone wrote:

It is very promising that your branch's discussion meeting has non-members out-numbering members. In recent years it seems to be always the other way around.

Is this an effect of you collecting contact e-mail addresses from your street lit -stalls of those interested and then following up by sending out invitations to the meeting? 

Not in the case of Brighton since we've only had two street stalls there in as many years.  There it's largely due to a) one member introducing various relatives of his extended family who in turn have told (and brought) their friends along and b) those contacts we've accumulated over a four year period (since the branch's inception in fact) from various sources including, of course, the party's activities during the Euroelections and the General Election in 2014 & 2015 and who we've steadily added to our email and postal mailing list which currently stands at 134...

Next meeting in Brighton is on Tuesday, 8 March.

http://www.meetup.com/The-Socialist-Party-of-Great-Britain/events/228117...

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Next meeting of K&SRB - Sunday, 13th March, 2016 at 2.00pm at The Muggleton Inn, 8 High Street, Maidstone ME14 1HJ (first floor)

AGENDA

Election of Chair

Apologies for absence Adoption of minutes of previous meeting

Matters arising from the minutes

i) Brighton Discussion Group - public meeting on 8 March (report)

ii) Video clips - deferred

iii) Street Stalls – report of Folkestone on 12 March and next one in Canterbury on 19 March

iv) Proposed Folkestone Discussion Group

v) 'How do we respond to Corbyn?'

Annual Conference 25/26-3-16 – Final Agenda
Appointment & instruction of delegates

Email from Media Committee

Forms 'A' & 'F'

Branch membership transfers

EC minutes – February meeting – 6-2-16

Summer School - Birmingham - 22/24-7-16

Future propaganda activities

Any other business

Collection

Adjournment

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Minutes of the 52nd meeting of the Kent & Sussex Regional branch of The Socialist Party of Great Britain held on 13th March 2016

The meeting started at 2.15pm and was held at the Muggleton Inn, High Street, Maidstone, Kent

Present: Dave Chesham (Secretary), Marie Chesham, Rob Cox (Treasurer), Dan Fabian, Jacqueline Shodeke (until 6.15pm)

Apologies for absence: Mandy Bruce, Les Courtney, Hannah Dutton, Ed Mann

Visitor: Richard Harris (until 4.00pm)

1. Election of Chair
Motion 1.
Cox & Fabian “That D.Chesham be Chair”
AGREED

2. Minutes of the 51st Meeting held on 14th February 2016 were before the meeting
Motion 2.
M.Chesham & Shodeke “That the minutes be adopted ”
AGREED

3. Matters arising from previous minutes

i) Brighton public meeting – 8-3-16

Only eight people showed up for this meeting (although we had 'apologies for absence' from six more, mostly due to illness). Two newcomers, one of whom turned out to be an extremely staunch defender of capitalism, quite possibly a young Tory, whose presence ensured that very little discussion took place on the advertised subject - religion.

However, a frequently heated exchange ensued for some two hours during which some real progress appeared to be made in the 'enlightenment' of this individual, very ably assisted by the other 'new face' who had reached an impressive and comprehensive understanding both of the status quo and of socialism (as we see it) quite independently of involvement with any political grouping or party.   We certainly hope to see her again...

Next meeting has been arranged for Tuesday, 10 May. Same venue and time.

ii) Video clips

It was AGREED to defer this item again

iii) Street Stalls

Stalls were arranged in Canterbury for 19 March and 16 April. From 12 noon in The Parade on each day.

A further stall in Folkestone has been fixed for 30 April outside the Town Hall.

iv) Proposed Folkestone Discussion Group

It has not yet been possible to arrange either a venue or a date for the first meeting of the discussion group but Max and Rob are still making enquiries.

v) 'How do we respond to Corbyn?'

Nothing to report as yet. Contact has been made with North London Branch and the Momentum group of the Labour Party.

4. Annual Conference 2016 - Final Agenda

The agenda was discussed in detail and delegates instructed. Those members appointed to represent the branch were: Mandy Bruce, Dave Chesham, Marie Chesham, Rob Cox, Dan Fabian, Ed Mann and Jacqueline Shodeke.

5. Email from the Media Committee

An email from the Media Committee was read and it was AGREED that a copy be circulated to all branch members.

6. Forms 'A' & 'F'
NONE

7. Branch membership transfers
NONE

8. EC minutes – February meeting – 6-2-16
NOTED

9. Future propaganda activities
NONE
other than those already mentioned.

10. Any other business

An amended Form 'C' was submitted by the Treasurer showing the correct number of branch members at 2015 year end.
NOTED

Meeting adjourned at 6.55pm

Collection taken: £11.00
 

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Next meeting of K&SRB - Sunday, 10th April, 2016 at 2.00pm at The Muggleton Inn (Wetherspoon), 8 High Street, Maidstone ME14 1HJ (first floor)

AGENDA

Election of Chair

Apologies for absence

Adoption of minutes of previous meeting

Matters arising from the minutes

i) Video clips

ii) Street Stalls – report of Canterbury on 19 March and next ones in Canterbury (16 April) and Folkestone (30 April)

iii) Proposed Folkestone Discussion Group

iv) 'How do we respond to Corbyn?'

v) Email from Media Committee

Ballot on Conference motions - report of delegates

EU Referendum leafleting

'Should the Party be more vocal about some issues?'

Branch financial matters

Forms 'A' & 'F'

Branch membership transfers

EC minutes – March meeting - 5-3-16
                          April meeting - 2-4-16

Brighton Discussion Group - 10-5-16

Summer School - 22/24-7-16

Kent Miners' Festival - 29-8-16

July 2016 SS proposal

Future propaganda activities

Any other business

Collection

Adjournment

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Minutes of the 53rd meeting of the Kent & Sussex Regional branch of The Socialist Party of Great Britain held on 10th April 2016

The meeting started at 2.09pm and was held at the Muggleton Inn, High Street, Maidstone, Kent

Present: Mandy Bruce, Dave Chesham (Secretary), Rob Cox (Treasurer), Dan Fabian, Jacqueline Shodeke

Apologies for absence: Marie Chesham, Les Courtney, Hannah Dutton

1. Election of Chair
Motion 1.
Cox & D.Chesham “That Shodeke be Chair”
AGREED

2. Minutes of the 52nd Meeting held on 13th March 2016 were before the meeting
Motion 2.
Shodeke & Cox “That the minutes be adopted ”
AGREED

3. Matters arising from previous minutes

i) Video clips

It was AGREED to defer this item again

ii) Street Stalls

Three comrades had to share the area with stalls from the Labour Party (campaigning on EU and the police election) and 2 of the EU out groups in Canterbury on 19 March. The Tory MP was out there, also the UKIP candidate from last year who came over to our stall for a chat after he recognised Rob.

Had some very interesting discussions, and made a new contact (politics student from the Uni) who may get us a speaking invite. Several people wanted to know our views on the EU referendum .

The stall was kept going for 4 hours, despite rain, wind and cold weather; sold nine Standards and a pamphlet, and handed out lots of leaflets and back issues.

The next stall in Canterbury will be on 16 April.  From 12 noon in The Parade.

Further stalls in Canterbury were arranged for the rest of the season. 14 May; 16 July; 20 August; 17 September and 8 October.

Another stall in Folkestone has been fixed for 30 April outside the Town Hall.

Rob will contact Andy to ask him to suggest dates that suit him for further Folkestone stalls.

iii) Proposed Folkestone Discussion Group

Rob to contact Andy regarding possible dates for a meeting.

iv) 'How do we respond to Corbyn?'

Contact has been made with North London Branch who recommended that K&S should approach Corbyn. No response had been received from Momentum group of the Labour Party.

It was AGREED that the Secretary attempt to make contact with Corbyn via Twitter and Facebook.

v) Email from Media Committee

This email has been circulated to all branch members
NOTED

4. Ballot on Conference motions - report of delegates

Members discussed the various motions in some detail and reached a consensus on how they would cast their votes.

5. EU Referendum leafleting
NOTED

6. 'Should the Party be more vocal about some issues?'

This item arose from our Item for Discussion to Conference

It was AGREED to defer this item to the next meeting

7. Branch financial matters

The Treasurer reported that the Unity Trust bank, with whom we have an account, has informed us we will be charged a current account tariff of £6 per month from June.

Rob had already made extensive enquiries about alternative banking arrangements and recommended that the branch open an account with Santander.

His suggestion was accepted and AGREED in principle.

8. Forms 'A' & 'F'

The Secretary had received two letters of resignation which were read out to the branch.

It was AGREED that Rob would write a letter to one of the members concerned and Dave would write to the other member and that further consideration be deferred until the next branch meeting.

9. Branch membership transfers
NONE

10. EC minutes – March meeting - 5-3-16
                                 April meeting – 2-4-16


As a result of discussion of the EC minutes and the Conference proceedings, the following two resolutions were proposed and AGREED 5-0-0 (five members present)

Motions to the EC

1) “Further to the statements made at Conference that there are no proper procedures to prevent incorrect payments being made, this branch is surprised that no action has been initiated by the Executive Committee to rectify the situation"

2) “This branch requests clarification of Motion 8 – April 2016 EC meeting. This motion appears to authorise any Officer or any Committee to spend up to £500 of the party's funds (any number of times) without reference to anyone but themselves. If this is the case this decision goes against past practice and can only be regarded as reckless”


11. Brighton Discussion Group – 10-5-16
NOTED


12. Summer School – 22/24-7-16
NOTED

13. Kent Miners' Festival – 29-8-16

It was AGREED that the Secretary book a pitch for this event.

14. July 2016 SS proposal

It was AGREED to defer this item until the next meeting.

15. Future propaganda activities
NONE other than those already mentioned.

16. Any other business
NONE

Meeting adjourned at 6.30pm

Collection taken: £10.00

gnome
gnome's picture
Offline
Joined: 14/10/2011

Next meeting of K&SRB - Sunday, 8th May, 2016 at 2.00pm at The Muggleton Inn (Wetherspoon), 8 High Street, Maidstone ME14 1HJ (first floor)

AGENDA

Election of Chair

Apologies for absence

Adoption of minutes of previous meeting

Matters arising from the minutes

i) Video clips

ii) Street Stalls – report of Canterbury on 16 April and and Folkestone on 30 April - Future stalls

iii) Proposed Folkestone Discussion Group

iv) 'How do we respond to Corbyn?'

v) 'Should the Party be more vocal about some issues?'

vi) Branch financial matters

vii) Resignations

viii) Kent Miners' Festival

ix) July 2016 SS proposal

x) Nomination for Party Assistant Secretary

Complaint against North London Branch

Branch membership transfers

EC minutes

Brighton Discussion Group - 10-5-16

Summer School - 22/24-7-16

Future propaganda activities

Any other business

Collection

Adjournment

Login or register to post comments