Skip to Content

Moderation Suggestions

289 posts / 0 new
Last post
moderator1
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2013

Vin wrote:

Could mods deal with abusive trolls and spammers BEFORE other members are forced to respond???

 

This is part and parcel of good practice which I do has a matter of course.  Perhaps you have failed to notice but several spammers had their posts deleted and their accounts blocked in the last couple of months. Abusive trolls are always issued warnings and when necessary issued with an indefinite suspension.

Tim Kilgallon
Tim Kilgallon's picture
Offline
Joined: 17/11/2015

moderator1 wrote:

Vin wrote:

Could mods deal with abusive trolls and spammers BEFORE other members are forced to respond???

 

This is part and parcel of good practice which I do has a matter of course.  Perhaps you have failed to notice but several spammers had their posts deleted and their accounts blocked in the last couple of months. Abusive trolls are always issued warnings and when necessary issued with an indefinite suspension.

Hi Brian and Vin

I think the issue at the heart of this current debate is not the frequency of the abusive post, it's also the nature and the seriousness of the post.

I would argue that whilst L Bird is a serial offender and at times his posts are quite abusive, he is at least attempting at times to engage in serious debate. In short he can make a bit of a twat of himself at times but his intentions are not always to make a twat of himself.

This is in contrast Bob Andrews who, in my view, has never actually posted a serious post and unlike L Bird who sometimes makes a twat of himself, Bob Andrews  is just a twat.

In addition to this there is the seriousness of the trolling, in the case of L Bird, he accuses people of being dim and of being his intellectual inferiors, presumably in an attempt to boost his obviously critically endangered sense of self worth.

His insults are not particulalry troubling and if the worst that happens to us is that L Bird calls one of an idiot or an imbercile, well I can cope with that.

On the other hand Bob Andrews appears to want to use this forum, not only to disrupt the forum and the SPGB, presumably as a last hurrah for the last remnants of the Ashbourne Court group before the grim reaper subjects them to the "final dialectic", Bob also wants to use this forum to project his pre historic, homophobic, bigotted and at times slanderous views. (is Bob the reincarnated spirit of Terry Lawlor?)

I think that, considering the homophobic nature of various comments by our knuckle dragging friend, the "three strikes and your out approach" is not enough. His posts are far more than a breach of the rules, they are homophobic, unpleasant, and appear to be a deliberate attempt to provoke a responce from Vin, which will result in a reaction leading to the suspension of an active party member.

My advice, as I have given elsewhere, would be for Vin to ignore these personalised attacks. However I can fully understand that Vin feels that the issue is not being taken seriously enough by the Moderator.


Vin
Online
Joined: 03/12/2011

Tim

Some time ago I expressed concern to moderation that 'bob andrews' was a 'sock puppet' account set up to provoke me and requested that admin use the same expertise on him that they used to discover my alleged 'sockpuppet' account. I was assured that this had been checked.  Mod2 resigned when I accused moderation of bullshitting. 

Lo and behold! But now mod1 informs me that he neither knows nor cares who 'bob andrews' is. 

Haddyway n shite man

moderator1
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2013

Vin wrote:

Tim

Some time ago I expressed concern to moderation that 'bob andrews' was a 'sock puppet' account set up to provoke me and requested that admin use the same expertise on him that they used to discover my alleged 'sockpuppet' account. I was assured that this had been checked.  Mod2 resigned when I accused moderation of bullshitting. 

Lo and behold! But now mod1 informs me that he neither knows nor cares who 'bob andrews' is. 

Haddyway n shite man

Bob Andrews is not using a sock puppet account but like many other users here he may well be using a pseudonym for whatever reason.  So far has I'm concerned he's just another user and his real identity is immaterial to my moderation role. 

Vin
Online
Joined: 03/12/2011

moderator1 wrote:

Bob Andrews is not using a sock puppet account 

So admin have checked that his IP address does not correspond to the IP address of any other member? If so can you publish this information  as you published mine and cde Linda Maratty's? If not, why not?

moderator1
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2013

Vin wrote:

moderator1 wrote:

Bob Andrews is not using a sock puppet account 

So admin have checked that his IP address does not correspond to the IP address of any other member? If so can you publish this information  as you published mine and cde Linda Maratty's? If not, why not?

No I can not publish his IP address.  That information is with Admin just contact them.

Vin
Online
Joined: 03/12/2011

moderator1 wrote:

Vin wrote:

moderator1 wrote:

Bob Andrews is not using a sock puppet account 

So admin have checked that his IP address does not correspond to the IP address of any other member? If so can you publish this information  as you published mine and cde Linda Maratty's? If not, why not?

No I can not publish his IP address.  That information is with Admin just contact them.

But you published MY IP address. Why publish mine and not 'bob andrews'?

So you were not really sure when you said you knew 'bob andrews' was NOT a sock puppet account? It may be and it may not be.

 

moderator1
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2013

Vin wrote:

moderator1 wrote:

Vin wrote:

moderator1 wrote:

Bob Andrews is not using a sock puppet account 

So admin have checked that his IP address does not correspond to the IP address of any other member? If so can you publish this information  as you published mine and cde Linda Maratty's? If not, why not?

No I can not publish his IP address.  That information is with Admin just contact them.

But you published MY IP address. Why publish mine and not 'bob andrews'?

So you were not really sure when you said you knew 'bob andrews' was NOT a sock puppet account? It may be and it may not be.

 

Because you used a sock puppet account and Bob Andrews account is not a sock puppet.  And therefore he is not breaking the rules, but you did.  

Vin
Online
Joined: 03/12/2011

moderator1 wrote:

Because you used a sock puppet account and Bob Andrews account is not a sock puppet.  And therefore he is not breaking the rules, but you did.  

I am not asking if I broke the rules in the past.

You are not answering the question. Does the IP address of 'Bob Andrews' match the IP address of any other user?

If you have not checked this, then how can you say he is not a 'sock puppet' account? By your own admission you don't know nor care who he is.

Vin
Online
Joined: 03/12/2011

moderator1 wrote:

Because you used a sock puppet account 

 

That is a lie. I have never held more than one account. Move on. 

Login or register to post comments