Skip to Content

Moderation Suggestions

289 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steve-SanFranci...
Offline
Joined: 20/04/2015

moderator1 wrote:

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

 I could spend some time making a survey that's easier to use and reaches a conclusion faster with less people minutes spent arguing and being surveyed. But I think surveys have been prohibited so that's a policy and and forum law that's imposed on the members without their consent. 

You are wrong in thinking surveys have been prohibited and that's the party policy or that its a "forum law that's imposed on the members without their consent".  This clear assertion is based on a pure assumption, followed by a false conclusion.

The truth is the party have had several surveys over the years, but the fact of the matter is we run a yearly survey under the heading of, 'Conference voting paper' where the full membership of the party have an opportunity to agree or disagree on the various issues and problems of class struggle.

What this means in practice is the party membership can as a whole conduct and organise its own surveys.  On the other hand, socialists welcome members of the working class conducting their own survey on socialist issues of the day.  But having said that, you will find that socialists are not keen on the presumption that we are willing participants in any such projects, when they obviously reflect little understanding on the socialist case.

excelent and informative answer.  i Thank you with 1 hour of my time if you want it and tell me how to spend it. 

I have asked to post surveys in my discussion comments and been stonewalled by moderators who simply ignore my request.  So not really a pure assumption on my part and I'm still not sure of the conclusion.  It sounds to me like only a priveledged class of people can post surveys here on your board.  How do I become part of the priviledged class?  It seems like your saying I can post a link to surveys but you expect everyone will ignore it.  Am I understanding you correctly? 

I imagine without the information determined by market purchasing data that surveys would be a frequent occurance in this board.  There's even systems of thinking that are survey based in their intire structure and use formal cartesian logic only peripherally. the human mind has been compared to a vast statistical analysis system by Artificial intellegence researchers and neuroscientist. 

It seems to me that communism is premised on the idea that decision maker know what others want in determining products or exchanges.  If that were true, then they wouild know about the statistical preferences for various groups.  Estimating the percent agreement for a survey is a test of fitness for decision making or leading or taking action that affects others, IMO.  Socialist may not have leaders, but they certainly have a need for people who can understand what others want and value. They don't believe in god, so it can't be god that tells them who wants what and who does what well and who likes to do what kind of labor.  You could ask them and They could tell you, but that would be a survey type question.   I think given the level of discord that surveys can be a valuable way of reconciling different opinions and worldviews. . . well, I'm rambling, so thanks for your reply. 

moderator1
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2013

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

moderator1 wrote:

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

 I could spend some time making a survey that's easier to use and reaches a conclusion faster with less people minutes spent arguing and being surveyed. But I think surveys have been prohibited so that's a policy and and forum law that's imposed on the members without their consent. 

You are wrong in thinking surveys have been prohibited and that's the party policy or that its a "forum law that's imposed on the members without their consent".  This clear assertion is based on a pure assumption, followed by a false conclusion.

The truth is the party have had several surveys over the years, but the fact of the matter is we run a yearly survey under the heading of, 'Conference voting paper' where the full membership of the party have an opportunity to agree or disagree on the various issues and problems of class struggle.

What this means in practice is the party membership can as a whole conduct and organise its own surveys.  On the other hand, socialists welcome members of the working class conducting their own survey on socialist issues of the day.  But having said that, you will find that socialists are not keen on the presumption that we are willing participants in any such projects, when they obviously reflect little understanding on the socialist case.

I have asked to post surveys in my discussion comments and been stonewalled by moderators who simply ignore my request.  So not really a pure assumption on my part and I'm still not sure of the conclusion.  It sounds to me like only a priveledged class of people can post surveys here on your board.  How do I become part of the priviledged class?  It seems like your saying I can post a link to surveys but you expect everyone will ignore it.  Am I understanding you correctly? 

There's no priviliged class on the forum, however all users need to seek permission from the mods for surveys under Rule 3. Do not use the forums to send spam, advertisements, charitable appeals, solicitations, or other messages primarily intended to promote a particular product, service, campaign, website, organisation, venture, or event, unless it is relevant to the SPGB or its companion parties, without first obtaining permission from the moderators.

Your posting are primarily about conducting a survey which you are assuming "is relevant to the SPGB".  I suspect you are finding that socialist are ignoring your links to the survey because in their opinion they are not relevant to the socialist case. Although you are seeking willing participants you are not actually conducting a survey on the forum.  If however, you start posting survey questions without seeking the mods permission you will be breaching the rules and be issued a warning.

lindanesocialist
Offline
Joined: 28/03/2016

moderator1 wrote:

There's no priviliged class on the forum,

Lol lol Ha ha . 

Steve-SanFranci...
Offline
Joined: 20/04/2015

moderator1 wrote:

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

moderator1 wrote:

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

 I could spend some time making a survey that's easier to use and reaches a conclusion faster with less people minutes spent arguing and being surveyed. But I think surveys have been prohibited so that's a policy and and forum law that's imposed on the members without their consent. 

You are wrong in thinking surveys have been prohibited and that's the party policy or that its a "forum law that's imposed on the members without their consent".  This clear assertion is based on a pure assumption, followed by a false conclusion.

The truth is the party have had several surveys over the years, but the fact of the matter is we run a yearly survey under the heading of, 'Conference voting paper' where the full membership of the party have an opportunity to agree or disagree on the various issues and problems of class struggle.

What this means in practice is the party membership can as a whole conduct and organise its own surveys.  On the other hand, socialists welcome members of the working class conducting their own survey on socialist issues of the day.  But having said that, you will find that socialists are not keen on the presumption that we are willing participants in any such projects, when they obviously reflect little understanding on the socialist case.

I have asked to post surveys in my discussion comments and been stonewalled by moderators who simply ignore my request.  So not really a pure assumption on my part and I'm still not sure of the conclusion.  It sounds to me like only a priveledged class of people can post surveys here on your board.  How do I become part of the priviledged class?  It seems like your saying I can post a link to surveys but you expect everyone will ignore it.  Am I understanding you correctly? 

There's no priviliged class on the forum, however all users need to seek permission from the mods for surveys under Rule 3. Do not use the forums to send spam, advertisements, charitable appeals, solicitations, or other messages primarily intended to promote a particular product, service, campaign, website, organisation, venture, or event, unless it is relevant to the SPGB or its companion parties, without first obtaining permission from the moderators.

Your posting are primarily about conducting a survey which you are assuming "is relevant to the SPGB".  I suspect you are finding that socialist are ignoring your links to the survey because in their opinion they are not relevant to the socialist case. Although you are seeking willing participants you are not actually conducting a survey on the forum.  If however, you start posting survey questions without seeking the mods permission you will be breaching the rules and be issued a warning.

Ok, thanks that clarifies things somewhat. 

1) So what does it take to get moderator permission. because they just ignored my requests.  

2) Who determines if somethign is relevant to SPGB and socialism?  Can I talk to the judge who is not a special class of persons.  Or maybe I need to write to the person who appointed that judge?  can I review and upvote or downvote that judge or petition for a different judge? Can I look at the judges ruling history and upvote or downvote my agreement with the judges ruling?  or is that not allowed for someone of my standing to judge somoeone of a moderators standing. Or is it allowed, but not supported, so technically, I can comment on a persons judgment but there's no place I could actually find the judgement history and no there's no way for me to comment on my approval or dissaproval?  (is it technically allowed, but practically impossible for me to do what I'm asking to do here because I do not possess the means and ability. if so can you give me a link to the right discussion location which seems to be the means required for producing an acceptable discussion of these questions ) Can you give me a link on where to discuss this if this is the wrong place for the question? 

3) How do you distinguish between a survey question and just a question?  I assume it's allowed to ask any questions I feel are relevant to socialism here and ask for a reply.  I assume I can ask 3 questions here and ask for a reply from anyone who reads it and wants to reply.  I guess I've been calling that a survey.  What do you call it? 

moderator1
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2013

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

 

Ok, thanks that clarifies things somewhat. 

1) So what does it take to get moderator permission. because they just ignored my requests.  

2) Who determines if somethign is relevant to SPGB and socialism?  Can I talk to the judge who is not a special class of persons.  Or maybe I need to write to the person who appointed that judge?  can I review and upvote or downvote that judge or petition for a different judge? Can I look at the judges ruling history and upvote or downvote my agreement with the judges ruling?  or is that not allowed for someone of my standing to judge somoeone of a moderators standing. Or is it allowed, but not supported, so technically, I can comment on a persons judgment but there's no place I could actually find the judgement history and no there's no way for me to comment on my approval or dissaproval?  (is it technically allowed, but practically impossible for me to do what I'm asking to do here because I do not possess the means and ability. if so can you give me a link to the right discussion location which seems to be the means required for producing an acceptable discussion of these questions ) Can you give me a link on where to discuss this if this is the wrong place for the question? 

3) How do you distinguish between a survey question and just a question?  I assume it's allowed to ask any questions I feel are relevant to socialism here and ask for a reply.  I assume I can ask 3 questions here and ask for a reply from anyone who reads it and wants to reply.  I guess I've been calling that a survey.  What do you call it? 

1. To get the mods permission the survey must be relevant to the socialist case.  The mods have not received a request from you to conduct a survey on the forum.

2. The mods determine what's relevant to socialism on the forum.  When you join the forum you agree to abide by the guidelines and rules.  You are free to comment on the rules in this thread or set up a thread on a specific rule you wish to comment on.  All moderators are appointed by the Executive Committee and the record of actions taken by the moderators are all here on the forum and part of the historical record.

All users can complain about the mods decisions by PM, however do not post any complaints on the forum.  The rest of your questions are more rambles than questions

3. A question is a question whether its in the form of a survey or a query.  You are allowed to ask any number of questions here which is relevant to socialism and request a reply on this fora.  You are not allowed to post "a survey" on the forum without the mods permission.

Steve-SanFranci...
Offline
Joined: 20/04/2015

moderator1 wrote:

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

 

Ok, thanks that clarifies things somewhat. 

1) So what does it take to get moderator permission. because they just ignored my requests.  

2) Who determines if somethign is relevant to SPGB and socialism?  Can I talk to the judge who is not a special class of persons.  Or maybe I need to write to the person who appointed that judge?  can I review and upvote or downvote that judge or petition for a different judge? Can I look at the judges ruling history and upvote or downvote my agreement with the judges ruling?  or is that not allowed for someone of my standing to judge somoeone of a moderators standing. Or is it allowed, but not supported, so technically, I can comment on a persons judgment but there's no place I could actually find the judgement history and no there's no way for me to comment on my approval or dissaproval?  (is it technically allowed, but practically impossible for me to do what I'm asking to do here because I do not possess the means and ability. if so can you give me a link to the right discussion location which seems to be the means required for producing an acceptable discussion of these questions ) Can you give me a link on where to discuss this if this is the wrong place for the question? 

3) How do you distinguish between a survey question and just a question?  I assume it's allowed to ask any questions I feel are relevant to socialism here and ask for a reply.  I assume I can ask 3 questions here and ask for a reply from anyone who reads it and wants to reply.  I guess I've been calling that a survey.  What do you call it? 

1. To get the mods permission the survey must be relevant to the socialist case.  The mods have not received a request from you to conduct a survey on the forum.

2. The mods determine what's relevant to socialism on the forum.  When you join the forum you agree to abide by the guidelines and rules.  You are free to comment on the rules in this thread or set up a thread on a specific rule you wish to comment on.  All moderators are appointed by the Executive Committee and the record of actions taken by the moderators are all here on the forum and part of the historical record.

All users can complain about the mods decisions by PM, however do not post any complaints on the forum.  The rest of your questions are more rambles than questions

3. A question is a question whether its in the form of a survey or a query.  You are allowed to ask any number of questions here which is relevant to socialism and request a reply on this fora.  You are not allowed to post "a survey" on the forum without the mods permission.

1) here's a copy of my request to post a survey made to the mods. I have still not recieved a response.

Steve-SanFranci...21/10/2016 - 10:20pm

Can I get your permission to post a survey in your forum? 

I'm designing a postcard mailer for SPGB and I want to ask SPGB community contributors to volunteer their time to choose their top favorite 3 postcards and 3 most hated postcards.  And then I want them to write their vote down for me in a reply post.

I'd like to start a new thread that will have the subject and first post read. . .

-----------------

TOPIC: SPGB Direct action - Best Political Mailer Design Contest.  

Dear SPGB community, 

Thanks for all your time recentlly spent helping me to understand you better.  I've designed some postcards intended for use by SPGB if you like them, and I want you to reply back with your approval or disaproval.  I was feeling creatively inspired to make an awsome campaign promotion and you at SPGB have helped me tremendously with brainstorming ideas for postcard covers. Now, I want to ask you, the SPGB community contributors to volunteer yout time and choose your top favorite 3 postcard designs and your 3 most hated postcards.  And then I want you to write your choices down for me in a reply post. here's the format for replies to cut and paste.

 

My top 3 favorite postcard designs were.

First Favorite:

_______

Second Favorite:

_______________________

Third Favorite: _________________________________

 

My 3 most hated on postcard designs were

Just plain stupid, the worst.: ________________________________

Still pretty bad: ________________________________

 

Completely Offensive: ________________________________

  

Thanks, and let me know if you think the time you time you spend on doing this favor for me is of equal value to the time I've put into creating these postcards for you. Here's the link to the postcard mockup designs. . . https://goo.gl/8hfH91

.

..

.

 

2) can you give me links or tell me where in you're navigation I have to click to find the information you refered to?  It seems like they exist but they are not easiliy accesible.  (ps. if a socialist society has no property and all property is commonly owned, then what would marx say about commonly owned property that can only be found by a select class of people? and do you consider information to be subjecte to the same rules about property as tangible goods?) 

3) that didn't translate into an answer.  this is a question about interpretation of rules and I've mentioned a specefic use case to apply the rules to.  What is the difference between a survey and questions has still not been answered sufficiently for me to know when you will judge a series of questions as a survey. Or do you have some unique definition of a survey you can share for me to better understand your application of the rules?

 

mcolome1
Offline
Joined: 04/11/2011

What about a forum survey  to eliminate all these non socialist related issues? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

moderator1
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2013

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

 

1) here's a copy of my request to post a survey made to the mods. I have still not recieved a response.

Steve-SanFranci...21/10/2016 - 10:20pm

Can I get your permission to post a survey in your forum? 

I'm designing a postcard mailer for SPGB and I want to ask SPGB community contributors to volunteer their time to choose their top favorite 3 postcards and 3 most hated postcards.  And then I want them to write their vote down for me in a reply post.

I'd like to start a new thread that will have the subject and first post read. . .

 

My apologies for not replying sooner to your request for permission to post a survey on the forum.  Unfortunately, shortly after your request Mod3 was taken ill and subsequently rarely using his emails.  This has delayed a decision on your request.

mcolome1
Offline
Joined: 04/11/2011

moderator1 wrote:

Steve-SanFrancisco-UserExperienceResearchSpecialist wrote:

 

1) here's a copy of my request to post a survey made to the mods. I have still not recieved a response.

Steve-SanFranci...21/10/2016 - 10:20pm

Can I get your permission to post a survey in your forum? 

I'm designing a postcard mailer for SPGB and I want to ask SPGB community contributors to volunteer their time to choose their top favorite 3 postcards and 3 most hated postcards.  And then I want them to write their vote down for me in a reply post.

I'd like to start a new thread that will have the subject and first post read. . .

 

My apologies for not replying sooner to your request for permission to post a survey on the forum.  Unfortunately, shortly after your request Mod3 was taken ill and subsequently rarely using his emails.  This has delayed a decision on your request.

The question is, what is the obsession of bringing this survey and postcard to this socialist forum ? We do already know that these survey and postcard have nothing to do with the socialist case.

Are we going to allow that this forum be shifted  from its real issues to deal with these stupid survey and postcards ? We have better social and economical issues to deal with.

The best survey should be to eliminate all these nonsense and all those postings that has nothing to do with socialism.

There are others forums around the whole who can can deal with this type of situation.

The moderators of this forum must wear iron boot and stand on their feet and make a decision

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

lindanesocialist
Offline
Joined: 28/03/2016

mcolome1 wrote:

Are we going to allow that this forum be shifted  from its real issues to deal with these stupid survey and postcards ? We have better social and economical issues to deal with.

The best survey should be to eliminate all these nonsense and all those postings that has nothing to do with socialism.

The moderators of this forum must wear iron boot and stand on their feet and make a decision

 

and we know they have one 

Login or register to post comments