Skip to Content

Socialist Studies 25 years

135 posts / 0 new
Last post
ALB
Offline
Joined: 22/06/2011

Twford John wrote:
I'm surprised the SPGB hasn't savaged you
But we are the SPGB so how can we savage ourselves?

I knew he was a troll from the start.

alanjjohnstone
Offline
Joined: 22/06/2011

A minority opinion was that we buy gold bars but another minority opinion suggested that we instead buy platinum,

Another minority said we go down to the casino to the roulette table and place the lot on red - but i got out-voted. cool

"I have no country to fight for; my country is the Earth, and I am a citizen of the World." - Eugene V. Debs

lindanesocialist
Offline
Joined: 28/03/2016

gnome wrote:

No not him, just came back. Cyril Bloody May!!!!!!!

Vin said

 

He came and spoke in the NE I remember. Wasn't as friendly as Cdes Slapper and Coleman. 

Harry Young came up, too. He was invited to (the now) Sunderland University to  talk on his experience of  1917. (Orgaised by my good self)

When we approached the door of the meeting Harry was allowed in  handed a glass of sherry and the door was slammed in our faces. I waited briefly for my comrade to come out and protest but the little shit didn't.

You can guess how North east members voted on their expulsion..

It was reported to members later that he had commented, 'Workers in the North East are only bothered about their beer and bingo" To which Steve Coleman replied  " So what! Better than sitting reading Shakespear."

They were an arrogant bunch

moderator1
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2013

lindanesocialist wrote:

gnome wrote:

No not him, just came back. Cyril Bloody May!!!!!!!

Vin said

 

He came and spoke in the NE I remember. Wasn't as friendly as Cdes Slapper and Coleman. 

Harry Young came up, too. He was invited to (the now) Sunderland University to  talk on his experience of  1917. (Orgaised by my good self)

When we approached the door of the meeting Harry was allowed in  handed a glass of sherry and the door was slammed in our faces. I waited briefly for my comrade to come out and protest but the little shit didn't.

You can guess how North east members voted on their expulsion..

It was reported to members later that he had commented, 'Workers in the North East are only bothered about their beer and bingo" To which Steve Coleman replied  " So what! Better than sitting reading Shakespear."

They were an arrogant bunch

2nd Warning: 8. Do not register or operate more than one account without first obtaining permission from the moderators. Do not share your password with others or allow anyone else to use your account. Do not use your account to post messages on behalf of any suspended user, without prior permission from the moderators.

lindanesocialist
Offline
Joined: 28/03/2016

I deeply regret allowing Vin to reminisce with other comrades, regarding The Socialist Studies Group.  Although I was there myself, Vin has  a better memory of the occassion as he was very active at the time of the expulsions.

I will not allow Vin to express his opinion via this account again.

 

Twford John
Offline
Joined: 03/09/2016
I see why you would feel uncomfortable about Socialist Party Investments and wish to pass it off as a joke. It wasn't my purpose to embarrass you. What I am trying to get at, and I should have used a less sensitive example, is: do you believe that democracy is, as it were, a trump card. That if a majority of the membership supports a proposal, no matter how preposterous ( and a revolutionary party making capital investments does appear pretty preposterous ),then the democratic decision overrides everything else?
ALB
Offline
Joined: 22/06/2011

Twford John wrote:
decision to play the stock market
Twford John wrote:
making capital investments
Assuming for the moment that you are sincere, on what basis do you make your claim that we have decided to do these things?

LBird
Offline
Joined: 21/07/2013

Twford John wrote:
...do you believe that democracy is, as it were, a trump card. That if a majority of the membership supports a proposal, no matter how preposterous ...then the democratic decision overrides everything else?

I'm not a member of the SPGB, TJ, but the simple answer to your question, for any democratic socialist, is 'Yes'.

The alternative is to accept that an elite have the power of determining 'preposterousness'.

That you hold this elitist belief seems to be implied by your question.


Bijou Drains
Bijou Drains's picture
Offline
Joined: 17/11/2015

Twford John wrote:
I see why you would feel uncomfortable about Socialist Party Investments and wish to pass it off as a joke. It wasn't my purpose to embarrass you. What I am trying to get at, and I should have used a less sensitive example, is: do you believe that democracy is, as it were, a trump card. That if a majority of the membership supports a proposal, no matter how preposterous ( and a revolutionary party making capital investments does appear pretty preposterous ),then the democratic decision overrides everything else?

 

I see no reason why a Socialist Party should feel uncomfortable about making capital investments.

We bought our head office many years ago and and the value of the property has risen consideably. Are you suggesting that we should have not made that capital investment and paid rent, or do you think that we if and when the property is sold we should only sell it at a price that reflects the price we paid adjusted for inflation?

Similarly we have retired members who no doubt have pensions partly paid by investments in stocks and shares, should they disinvest, or should we not accept any monies donated by them.

If we have capital and we can use it to increase the money we have to plough into revolutionary activity, why should we not? We are not a bunch of moralistic zealots who are attempting to live a socialistic life within the capitailist system, wearing hair shirts and beating our backs with wet copies of Das Kapital. We are realists who realise, that unfortunately we have to live in a capitalist world. If we can subvert some of it to increase revolutionary activity, all well and good!


Twford John
Offline
Joined: 03/09/2016
You are going to subvert capitalism from within. This is you being realistic, is it? I had a suspicion that this was going to be your rationale. No more wild talk about building a socialist working class majority. Well, the capitalist class have had a good innings, but we wont be sorry to see it go. I almost feel sorry for them. The Socialist Party in Guilts and Bonds. Y'now, it has a ring to it! By the way, Jim D'Arcy bought Head Office, and he wasn't making a 'capital investment'.
Login or register to post comments